12.04.2016

Letting Go of Old Stories


Something I've been thinking about lately:

You know how you have those old stories about yourself that you've carried your whole life?

Like - 

"Oh, I'm not _____ enough to do ______" 
e.g. "Oh, I'm not smart enough to go for my dreams"

OR 

"People always treat me like _______" 
e.g. "People always treat me like I'm invisible"

OR 

"This___(insert bad thing)___happened to me when I was younger and that's why I __(insert self-destructive habit) now"??? 
e.g. "My mother was horrible to me when I was a kid and that's why I now have these relationship problems."

BUT...

WHAT IF these stories aren't really true, but are simply the subjective meaning you made out of something that happened to you?

WHAT IF your old beliefs subconsciously drive your behaviors and cause other people to react to you in a way that always validates your old story, however old and untrue it might be? 

WHAT IF these old stories served a purpose at one time, but now just hold you back from living your best life? 

WHAT IF you decided to forgive yourself and whoever did _____  to you, move on and choose a new, more positive story to believe in about yourself/your life?  (Because...WHAT IF those people/places/situations you experienced were actually spiritual teachers who were meant to send you challenges, so your Soul could grow and blossom into a more beautiful version of yourself?)

How would your life change for the better?  

2 comments:

  1. Those old stories are killer. But we can learn to let them go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great reminder. I think I have let go of most of my "old stories." Now I have to watch out for the new stories. Like: I can't do or have _____ because I'm too old, or too poor, or too...whatever. Some obstacles and limitations are real, but I won't know what those are unless I at least try for what I want, not automatically thinking "I can't because...."

    ReplyDelete

blogger template by deblog