11.23.2016

A Zen Tip


Yesterday afternoon I was tackling my to-do list and feeling distracted and stressed.

I walked into the kitchen and noticed that I hadn't done the dishes from the morning yet. Ugh, I thought. Reluctantly, I put on my dishwashing gloves and went for the task. But as I stared at the pile in the sink, waiting for the water to turn warm, I suddenly appreciated how grounding and meditative it can be to do such simple, necessary tasks. I took a deep breath, released all my worries on the exhale and focused on the experience at hand.

I felt so much calmer when I finished. And afterwards, I even wrote a little poem about it:


DISHES

When in doubt, do the dishes

To ease the gridlock in your brain

To pause before the 76th thing on your to-do list

To quell the anxiety of questions that have no answers right now

To enjoy the simple pleasure of an empty sink and a clean plate for your lunch.



Photo Credit: Scott Umstattd

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. Judy Anne, I am enjoying your blog so much. Your writing is calming and lovely. I'm so glad we met through Susannah's course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Leon, I'm happy you're enjoying it. I'm glad we've connected, too. :-)

      Delete
  2. It's so lovely to do and see the results of simple things. I love it when I walk into the kitchen and see a clean sink with a few sparkles... but I don't love doing the dishes - never have. I've learned to start feeling the enjoyment of the clean sink before I get there, and to take time out and be grateful that I've got a home I love that needs cleaning. Some have no sinks of their own. I agree with Lee... such soothing words. Your photos are calming too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda - I appreciate you stopping by. ♥

      Delete
  3. Judy Anne! I feel you are living in my brain! Not only do I walk past the yoga mat...I walk past the dishes! Each and every time I am in awe at how good it feels to wash them and clear the sink...maybe it's why I let them pile up?

    ReplyDelete

blogger template by deblog